Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Classic Spots in St. George’s, Grenada

S/V Trillium at the quay of Port Louis
Across the lagoon from Port Louis Marina is the Grenada Yacht Club where we had a fun and rather wild night with the fleet. It was a Welcome Drink event, followed by a subscription dinner and a lot of rum punch and crazy dancing! You would have thought these people had been too long at sea! Right! It was a really fun WARC event and some of the antics should not be publicized! Apparently, those of us who left early missed most of the “fun” so I can’t comment with first had knowledge! And I will leave it at that!

This is not a low rent neighborhood!
There were a number of fun nights in the marina as well. The Victory Bar & Grill had the best pizza! I think I had pizza every other day! Yolo was a good sushi restaurant – and it had a nice selection of cook food, too! I am known for wanting my protein cooked! I don’t ever eat it raw or “cooked” in lemon or lime juice, etc. I don’t want it looking transparent. And I never want to see it looking at me so all heads must be removed! I have accepted the heads and eyes of prawns and lobsters, though.

After a dinghy ride out of the lagoon past the Port of St. George's and into the area known as the Carenage, we explored the town of St. George's. Bob had spent time working on a yacht there when he was in college so we were off to find his old haunts! Following Wharf Road we found lunch at Sail Away Café. Apparently it has been remodeled recently, probably after hurricane damage, so he was pleasantly surprised. That is where Dennis ordered his Beer-arita. The margarita with a Corona inserted upside-down. You just lift the beer bottle a little and the beer joins the margarita. He said it was very refreshing and somewhat like a Shandy or another German drink. Their lobster wrap was delightful! I will go there again next year.
The fishing fleet in Port St. George's
St. George’s is built on a ridge, with the sea on one side, and the protected Carenage on the other. The houses are colorful and it looks neat and picturesque. The old brick buildings are capped with antique “fish scale tile roofs. Long ago when ships returned form delivering their cargo of rum and spices, they returned “in ballast” of bricks. And the streets are cobblestone, making walking in sandals a bit challenging. Plus the streets are hot from the sun.

It was very hot in the town area where we were searching for the Digicel store and the fresh market. I received frustrating news from the Digicel store as they said my three-year-old Samsung Galaxy was too old for their app! What – that was an expensive unlocked phone! I have been struggling with Digicel connections and can’t seem to get online for a hot spot. It will be back to Digicel as soon as I find another store.
Waiting for Neptune to arrive!
Back in the marina, the crew of S/Y Golden Dragon was preparing a special ceremony for those who had just crossed the equator. When we crossed it in the Pacific, we had our celebration and honored Neptune with champagne. This time we crossed it at 11:30 PM and I was alone in the cockpit. To celebrate, I wrote a note and put it in a wine bottle and tossed it overboard. I wonder if it will be found and if anyone with contact me if they do find it!

Look who is coming down the dock!

The WARC fleet was called to Golden Dragon at the appointed hour for Neptune to appear. We were told to dress appropriately for the occasion. Several speeches were given, special drinks were served to the tadpoles (first timers) and the pollywogs (second timers) and others. Certificates were handed out and good fun was had by all! This has been the most creative group of sailors ever and fun is always in the works. I believe much of the credit goes to Taffy and Brian and a few others. Thanks, WARC 2016-17 for taking us into the fold!

Pollywogs must drink from the cup! 
Following the final Awards Dinner at the Victory Bar & Grill, we began our free sailing period to explore our way north the St. Lucia for the final event. We will gather in Marigot Bay and dress the boats for the big Parade of Sail up the coast into the Castries and then to Rodney Bay on April 8th. Then it will be over!

And what is Mary Beth up to now!
Just the thought of it ending brings tears to my eyes. In many ways, I have had enough sailing. In other ways, I will miss our beautiful boat and all of the people we have met out in the world. There are others things we want to do in our retirement while we are still healthy so ending the adventure is the right thing to do. But it is not an easy thing to do! We will miss this wonderful group of people from all over the world. And I fear it will be lonely out on the waters next fall without them with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you here. You can see earlier posts at http://sv-trillium.blogspot.com